Credit Underwriter, Lead - Shorewood, MN
Requisition Number: 17-0020Requisition Number 17-0020
Post Date 3/30/2017
Title Credit Underwriter, Lead
Accountable for portfolio of complex, large commercial loans generally ranging in loan relationship size from $750,000 and up, including proposing and negotiating lending solutions on new commercial loans, underwriting credit risk, and granting credit approval within prescribed level of loan authority; presenting credit recommendation to Loan Committee; facilitating loan closing; and servicing booked loans. Contributes to effective risk management through ordering and execution of loan documentation and ongoing monitoring of customer-supplied information and collateral administration. Assists in training other credit personnel including jointly approving credits of other underwriters within prescribed level of loan authority. Leads all underwriting and analyst personnel in Leads market. Under the direction of the Chief Credit Officer, this person is responsible for performance management and ensures the integrity of loan processing in their market.
JOB FUNCTION NUMBER 1: Administrative & personnel management.-35%
- Manage workflow among underwriters and analysts, conduct weekly UW team meetings to discuss workloads and reassign priorities as needed.
- Provide day to day oversight, monitoring and performance management of staff, create performance plans and ensure timely reviews for all underwriting staff.
- Contact point for internal customers, manage requests for UW assignments, review and manage tickler list with UW and Banker staff.
- Obtain monthly loan review completion data and work with staff to ensure team and individual goals are met.
- Monitor delinquency reports and file comments to address delinquency actions with UWs.
- Monitor and manage interim servicing and monitoring of individual credits with UWs.
- Review credit action decisions and conduct approval authority for those UW's whom have lending authority less than loan committee size.
- Be present and participate in the discussion of any loan committee presentations of credits. Voting member of loan committee for in-market credits.
- Under the direction of the Chief Credit Officer, assist with Human Resources to hire and staff underwriting and analyst positions as needed.
JOB FUNCTION NUMBER 2: Propose and negotiate lending solutions. Direct the loan decision-making process by providing in depth, high-quality credit and risk analysis and communicate underwriting results with Banker and customer. Contribute to sound loan portfolio management through approving or declining commercial credit applications.-30%
- Ascertain lending needs, propose and negotiate loan products and credit solutions for new loan opportunities.
- Propose loan programs (SBA, USDA, FSA, etc.).
- Evaluate and suggest loan pricing options, notate pricing exceptions.
- Evaluate customers response to proposal, communicate appropriate alternative structures if necessary, work to gain customers acceptance and formal credit application.
- Develop comprehensive understanding of customers financial needs, and formulate a plan of action for loan structure, monitoring, and servicing of loan relationship.
- Perform financial statement forecasting and sensitivity analysis to assist in determination of borrowers future capacity to repay debt.
- Meet with customer to review financial statement spreads and projections, discuss results.
- Write credit narrative and perform risk assessment of product, policy, structure, terms, and customer financial strength.
- Independently grade all credits in accordance with Banks credit classification system.
- Establish requirements for, and assess information received, through account monitoring programs.
- Approve or decline lending requests in accordance with established guidelines within prescribed lending authority.
- Present recommended credit decision to Loan Committee, participants, and governmental agencies.
JOB FUNCTION NUMBER 3: Provide credit administration by ensuring proper documentation and closing of loan transactions and conducting ongoing account monitoring.-20%
- Perform administrative tasks to maintain and manage ongoing tracking system of monitoring requirements, file review exceptions, review dates, and loan maturity dates.
- Determine and order loan documentation, and review for completeness.
- Meet with Banker and customer to close large, complex loan transactions, including review of documentation and discussion of performance expectations.
- Maintain ongoing consulting credit relationship with customer via meetings to discuss status of credit and annual review of financial information.
- Identify potential new lending needs in existing relationships and suggest solutions to customer.
- Negotiate and direct the sale of individual loan participations or obtain government guaranties.
- Provide ongoing administration of collateral perfection.
JOB FUNCTION NUMBER 4: Contribute to the development of other credit personnel and those involved with the credit product by assisting in the training function.-10%
- Assist in training other credit personnel.
- Periodically assume the roll of instructor or administrator in training sessions or seminars as directed by Chief Credit Officer.
- Jointly review and approve credit actions with underwriting staff within prescribed level of loan authority.
JOB FUNCTION NUMBER 5: Conduct and develop research projects useful to the lending function.-5%
- Serve on specific credit product management teams as directed by Chief Credit Officer.
- Participate in assessment and selection of appropriate analysis and risk management technology as directed by Chief Credit Officer.
- Maintain industry knowledge.
- College degree or equivalent education, including upper level courses in finance and accounting.
- In-depth knowledge of advanced loan documentation, banking laws, and regulations preferred, but not required.
- Five or more years of experience working with commercial loans.
- Experience assessing, selling, and closing all types of commercial and commercial real estate loans.
- Three or more years of experience in personnel management and supervision.
- Strong problem solving ability.
- Professional customer service skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Self-starter with established ability to work effectively with minimal day-to-day supervision.
- Good analytical skills.
- Team player.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: (MUST BE MET WITH OR WITHOUT A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION)
- Spend extended periods of time sitting at a desk and using office equipment.
- Extended time is spent reviewing documents, both actual papers or electronic.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Periodically, may also do light lifting of supplies and materials which weighs in at approximately 20 lbs.
- Will spend most of time in an indoor environment.
- May have a need to travel to and work at multiple locations.
Alerus Financial is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
3137 32ND AVE S
FARGO ND 58103